Online advertisements have become a major revenue attraction for today’s internet-savvy generation. Google has been the pioneer in this department with it’s Adsense and Adwords products. For those interested in figures, check out Google’s 2012 Q4 advertisement earnings.
YouTube of course has emerged as a revenue stronghold for Google over the course of time. Take this fact : The “Gangnam style” video earned Google $8 million!
But whats is a boon for Google does become a bane (and quite irritating one too!) for most of us who just want to watch some videos without the ghastly advertisement interferences. So am sure you will love it if I say you can now watch any video on YouTube ad-free!
How can I remove all ads?
Today am going to show you how to remove the ads without using any extensions. Google is currently running an experiment on YouTube that removes all the ads officially. Experiments are A-B tests that Google likes to run to test various features or settings in its products.
Follow these steps:
1. Open youtube.com in a new tab. You can see the advertisement at the top of the page:
2. Load your browser’s developer console:
- Chrome or Opera 15+ – press Ctrl+Shift+J for Windows/Linux/ChromeOS or Command-Option-J for Mac.
- Firefox – press Ctrl+Shift+K for Windows/Linux or Command-Option-K for Mac.
- Opera 12 – press Ctrl+Shift+I for Windows/Linux or Command-Option-I for Mac, then click “Console”.
- Safari – check this article
- Internet Explorer – press F12 and select the “Console” tab.
3. Paste the following code into the console and hit the enter-key :
4. Now you can see the advertisement at the top removed and the webpage is now free of any ads!
5. To go back to the regular interface, use the same instructions, but replace the code from step 3 with this one:
Experiments do not last forever and it is very likely that Google will disable this particular cookie eventually. An alternative to that is Adblock Plus, a browser extension for most web browsers that removes advertisement on YouTube as well.
(via Google System)
Have you tried this experiment yet? Do let us know your comments!
Image credit : jmunch